Based on current medical tenants, we continue to advise our readers to stay away from any company that claims to be able to promote height increases in adults. Unfortunately, many people realize they have been cheated only after their money is gone.

If you feel that you have been cheated by one of these companies, we strongly urge you to file a complaint. One voice will not do much but many will get this problem addressed by the proper authorities. At least one company so far has been shut down and their owners are facing jail time.

For companies in the United States, the best place to start is the State Attorneys General office from which the company operates. Don't send email. You are more likely to get a response if you send a postal letter.

You can also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Before you contact the BBB, contact the company that sold you the fraudulent product and demand a refund. Then follow up with them about a week later. Be very specific that you want your money refunded. If they do not answer you to your satisfaction, file a complaint. As you go through the "File a Complaint Form", you'll be asked for the address of the company, so the complaint can be forwarded to the local BBB office. They will send a letter to the company. If the company does not answer, the BBB records the complaint as UNANSWERED and files it in their database of companies.

Some companies operate from Canada. If you were scammed by one of them, contact the Canadian Council of Better Business Bureaus and look up the office that handles the province from which the company operates. Then contact the appropriate office.

Also, in the United States, the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection "works For The Consumer to prevent fraud, deception, and unfair business practices in the marketplace." You can file a complaint with their online form.

In 2002 we contacted several government and private agencies asking for a review of these companies. Rather than filing complaints on individual companies, we attempted to address the entire height increase industry. Initial contact was always by formal letter on Short Persons Support letter head to the main office, followed by email or a Web form submission if no response was received. Responses were disappointing. Below is a list of correspondences we have had or attempted.